Note to Applicant: The Resident Assistant Position is from July 29, 2024, until May 17, 2025. Weekend and evening availability is required. Must attend summer and winter training, and be available during openings and closings on the below dates:
- Fall 24 Opening: 8/22-8/24
- Fall 24 Closing: Saturday December 14, 2024
- Spring 25 Opening: 1/19 – 1/20
- Spring 25 Closing: 5/5-5/17
*Please consult your Financial Aid Advisor before accepting this position. If you are an international student please consult with Jonathan Kent on how this would affect your scholarship(s). *
Job Summary: In this role, you will act as a student leader to support the residence halls and a community of residents. The purpose of a Resident Assistant (RA) is to promote a healthy living and learning environment by fostering relationships, building community and being an engaging presence within the halls. This is done through intentional programming and interactions with the goal of supporting student retention efforts.
What Will I Do:
- Serve as a role model to all community members and to each other within and outside of the university.
- Enforce and adhere to all policies outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, Housing Agreement, and the Student Staff Incident Response Guide.
- Know all your residents by name and room within the first six weeks of the semester.
- Complete wellness checks within the community as assigned by professional staff members or Graduate Assistants.
- Remain informed of roster changes; create a welcoming environment to new residents.
- Host community (floor) meetings, and programs for your community as defined by the Engagement Model.
- Be visible in your community.
- Discuss and address students’ concerns.
- Initiate dialogue within individual and group dynamics.
- Refer students to support services on campus as needed.
- Encourage student participation in clubs, organizations, and activities.
- Perform and record the outcomes of programs, Saxon Chats, Community Meetings, and other initiatives.
- Ensure all students have completed roommate agreements within the first month.
- Complete one (1) door decoration per semester, four (4) bulletin boards per semester, and two (2) Saxon Chats per semester
- Fulfill the programming requirements of your area as outlined by the Engagement Model.
- Support Living Learning Communities (LLCs) as needed:
- Complete programming requirements.
- Develop strong mentoring relationships with each of the residents.
- Develop a strong relationship with the LLC Facilitators.
- Promote the ideals and be involved in the development of their assigned LLC.
- Participate and attend LLC meetings, events, and programs.
- Be a positive and active community member.
- Support the LLC Leadership Board to better the experience amongst all students and staff.
- Document and report any violations or concerns immediately after handling an incident.
- Submit nightly duty logs at the end of an Active-Duty shift.
- Act as a mandatory reporter for all Title IX and discrimination-related behaviors.
- Be a part of an on-call duty rotation in your area.
- Sunday-Thursday: Active Duty from 8:30 pm to midnight. On-Call from midnight to 8:30 am. Complete two (2) rounds.
- Friday and Saturday: Active Duty from 8:30 pm to 2 am. On-Call from 2 am until Sunday at 8:30pm. Complete three (3) rounds.
- Remain in your area while on-call, in a set location, with the duty phone while on Active Duty.
- Be available for Residents, Community Assistants (CAs), Pro Staff, Public Safety, and Directors to get in contact with you while on call.
- Have knowledge of, and enforce, all University Policies. Report any breach of policy observed.
- Attend regular meetings including but not limited to staff meetings and one-on-ones.
- Be available for opening and closing weeks as defined in the terms and conditions.
- Attend and actively participate in training sessions throughout the year.
- Address behaviors, and support students dealing with difficult situations including, but not limited to sexual assault, suicide and other mental health issues, and alcohol and drug issues.
- Serve as a University ambassador by providing incredible customer service to all community members
- Perform ad hoc tasks such as lockouts and roommate mediations.
Required Qualifications to Apply:
- Must be a full time Alfred University student.
- Must have lived in University housing for at least one semester prior to applying.
- Must be a full-time student for both Fall 2024 and Spring 2025.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to assess urgent situations and respond under pressure.
Preferred Qualifications to Apply:
- Leadership experience.
- Experience working with people of different backgrounds.
- Problem solving skills.
- Organization and time management skills.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
*Please consult your Financial Aid Advisor before accepting this position. If you are an international student, please consult with Jonathan Kent on how this would affect your scholarship(s). *
Compensation for the Resident Assistant position will include a double-occupancy space for use as a single room (where applicable). In addition, the cost of housing is a credit on your student account. (note that exceptions to the single room may be made for unforeseen circumstances). Please note that the Office of Residential Communities may move an RAs assignment at any point to meet the needs of the department, and RAs are not able to alter their compensation package.
Alfred University actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee, student or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction status, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Protected veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.