Senior Financial Accounting Manager
- Alfred, NY
- Full Time
- Business Office
Alfred University seeks a Senior Financial Accounting Manager who will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Business Office and is the backup for treasury functions, and will report directly to the Controller. This position is responsible for reporting requirements involving NYSCC funds and maintaining the financial ledgers associated with the Statutory College. This position serves as security administrator for all SUNY systems: SMRT, mainframe, web, DOB. It is responsible for aggregating annual budget requests during the budget development process as well as generating budget reports and preparing monthly analysis as may be directed by the controller. This position is responsible for completing all budget forms for SUNY and inputs the base budget and all adjustments into the SUNY system for operational and project budgets, as well as maintaining the Chart of Accounts. In addition, this position prepares various reports and completes surveys as needed, and prepares various reconciliations and account analysis as needed.
- Formal Education: Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in finance or accounting required; Master’s degree or CPA preferred.
- Experience: 5-7 years of accounting and budgeting experience and 3-5 years in a supervisory role required.
- Additional Knowledge/Skills: Knowledge of accounting and excel required. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Knowledge of SCT Banner Finance as well as SUNY operations a plus. Experience working with databases and strong statistical background preferred.
- Oversees the Accounts Payable function
- Approves weekly invoices and check requests over $1,500
- Backup for Controller for treasury functions including; signing of checks, wiring of funds, cash tracking, movement of investments and making bank deposits.
- Prepares audit work papers, reconciles accounts, and prepares entries for year-end as may be directed by the Controller.
- Oversees the month end accounting close. Ensures that all journal entries and feeds are processed by the 10th business day following the end of each accounting period by developing and maintaining a monthly closing checklist.
- Review of invoices and journal entries.
- Assist with setting and ensuring compliance with Business Office/Finance procedures and policies.
- Prepares and analyzes monthly budget and fund balance reports as may be directed by the Controller.
- Maintains the SUNY Chart of Accounts and budgets. Add new SUCF M&R accounts into State system.
- Assist with implementing an Internal Control Program & reviewing on an annual basis.
- Security administrator for all SUNY systems: SMRT, mainframe, web, and DOB systems. This includes establishing/removing users, maintenance of access, and updating information.
- Coordinate the year-end spending of the NYS allocation, processing budget changes, and monitoring special monies (AER, lump sum, SUCF).
- Processing year-end entries for SUNY funding sources and reconciling accounts.
- Review budget changes for Ceramics & restricted funds and update NYS funds on NYS system.
- Work with SUNY budget office on inputting annual Form 1.
- Represent the University at the SUBOA meetings as requested.
- Prepares the Annual Allocation Agreement for review by Controller.
- Completes surveys and institutional research projects.
- Assists end users with budget and other miscellaneous questions as needed.
Alfred University actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee, student or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction status, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Protected veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.